Sunday 23 October 2011

Cheap Date for Jessie J in Liverpool!

By SCOTT WILLIAMS

I caught Jessie J's Heartbeat tour in Liverpool University on Saturday night after an exciting build up. It was touch and go as to whether the singer would be able to continue with the tour after an accident causing a broken foot in the summer.



After a stressful day finding a way to get to Liverpool from Manchester I arrived with great expectations to hear my favourite songs from her debut album Who You Are. I had heard Jessie would play some new songs too, so could not wait for these.

As a huge fan I could not wait to see what the tour would be like so I found some footage on youtube from her Birmingham opening gig back in April and Manchester the night before. I was beyond excited after seeing these clips, as the stage was amazing and her voice incredible!

Upon arrival some disappointment set in as I turned up in Liverpool at the University building. I had never been to a gig there before so I had an open mind. Then walking into the venue hall and seeing the stage I was a little bit down hearted. 

I was expecting a massive Jessie J sign and a spell binding set. All we had in Liverpool was black backdrop and red stairs. Therefore the Jessie J show was not really set alight in the scouse city. 

I was also disappointed with the stage entrance, I was anticipating Mamma Knows Best to belt out like in Birmingham to kick off the show in style. Instead we had a slow start as Jessie strolled onto the stage and sang the ballad Big White Room.


Although it was a slow start Jessie rocked the room and belted out her hits, and fan album favourites! I still have much respect for Jessie as a live performer, her energy and stage presence truly makes her a star. 

Her eyes sparkled on stage and she is clearly humble to her fans for their loyal support. This was shown when she signed items the crowd threw to her on stage. 

The show highlights for me were my personal favourite song Abracadabra. Jessie's powerful voice and playful stage presence really shone on this track. Mamma Knows Best was brilliant live, and it seemed like a song the lady herself enjoys performing too. Price Tag was a crowd favourite as was Nobody's Perfect. 

Liverpool crowds are always loud and this one was no exception, Jessie even commented that we were the loudest crowd on the tour so far. You can always tell when the audience loves a song as the phones light up the room with filming and pictures being taken. 

Jessie's sensitive side came through on her ballads especially on I Need This and Casualty of Love, her voice is very powerful and seemingly effortless. I loved hearing the new song My Shadow, it was an emotional song with real, heartfelt lyrics. Definitely a potential single.

Who You Are was the most emotional performance of the night as Jessie was nearly in tears singing this song. Its a personal track that has hit a nerve with her hearbeats globally. Its a very empowering song that will become the anthem of her career. 

Due to the poor quality of the venue Jessie was unable to deliver an encore so instead her costume change consisted of grabbing a hat from the crew to deliver Do It Like A Dude. 


The performer within exploded onto the stage during this track. To finish off the set Jessie launched herself in to a new song called Domino, the energetic song was a crowd pleaser and went down a storm! It has a familiar sound, a bit like Toploader's Dancing In The Moonlight. 



Jessie's Encore Performance Shot 
Topped off with gold confetti blasting out from the stage this was a brilliant end to a fantastic show....just a shame the venue did not deliver!!

Overall Jessie J was amazing live, and she is a true performer. Her big voice deserves to be heard in Arena's now as the star is an all round show girl at heart, and her heartbeats (myself included) would relish the chance to see her shine on a big stage! 



*See the fan footage below of the Liverpool entrance and the Birmingham debut.

Liverpool

Birmingham April 2011


Domino Live in Liverpool - 22nd October 2011 - Performance of the Night!





No comments:

Post a Comment